Thursday 9 June 2011

Obligatory E3 Reaction Post 2011

  • That new "Overstrike" thing by Insomniac looks interesting. If nothing else, Ratchet & Clank has given these people a hell of a lot of practice with animation, and it shows here.
  • A new Luigi's Mansion? That was a pleasant surprise. Glad to see that's gettin' some lovin'.
  • One of the tech demos they had there was "New Super Mario Bros. Mii". Mii, not Wii. As in: "Play with one of the Miis you've created, instead of two Toads"... I'm really not sure why they didn't just do that in the first place.
  • Bald Guy #12 Billion from "Infamous" is going to be in... Street Fighter? Seriously guys? Couldn't find a more boring, forgettable character design to include? (Well, okay, it's HALF a Tekken game...)
  • Minecraft is being released for the Xbox 360... AFTER I already bought the knockoff "Fortress Craft". Them's the breaks.

  • New Smash Bros. for 3DS. Masahiro Sakurai will be working on it right after he's done with Kid Icarus. Totally called that one.

  • ...I kind of like the Wii U. I don't get why the stock is lowering upon its announcement(although their stock price lowered before the Wii gave them infinity jillion dollars, so maybe people just like to over-react). It's not blowing my mind, I have a few concerns, but no outright complaints. I mean, it's finally caught up to the other boys in this thing in terms of technicaly horsepower, and it looks like the controller has some potential. Although I have to wonder how they're going to sell this to the casual crowd, since the original Wii owes a lot of its success to not just the hardcore crowd, but also to the exercisers. The folks who made it another part of their daily workout regimen. This doesn't look like it'll be making you as active.

    But hey, four friends playing-

    Wait, what? Only player per console? WHAT? On a Nintendo console?

    Are you KIDDING Me?!






    Oh, you can still use Wiimotes you may already own. Still, that's kind of stupid. I can see why some people aren't totally on board now. For a multiplayer-centric game developer, that's a bizarre limitation. These guys aren't exactly known for their robust online services to compensate for this sort of thing.

    In any case, I'll wait and see. I don't know how much it costs, and I'll wait to see what kind of lineup it has at launch, but I'm still closer to optimistic about this one. If nothing else, I've been going through an OMG WOE IS ME wangst-parade lately, and this did boost my spirits a little. I'm not sure why, but I won't argue with results(if they're any good).

  • It's sad how little embarrassments have occurred at E3. Not one of the Big Three (Nintendo, Microsoft and Colecovision) had a particularly BAD showing this year. No horrible drumming pantomime, no "Riiiidge Racerrrr!", no Peter Moore being... er, Peter Moore. It looks like everyone'll be happy this year. Sadly, this leaves us with very little material for youtube poops and humorous animated .gifs...

    Wait... what's that, Ubi-Soft? You're not afraid of a few dick jokes? Good, that's going to come in handy.
END OF LINE

~A.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment