Monday 13 August 2018

Fave Things Of 2017

I put off this list because I lost my ability to explain why I like things, and also because I was hoping I'd be able to afford a Switch by this point. So, no mario odyssey or breath of the wild on this list I'm afraid.

let's get this shit over with:


10. My Hero Academia



There is an infectious power and heart to this show. It's obvious that the people working on it care a lot. I wish I felt that way about my own stories. If I had that kind of motivation, I might have even finished one by now.

---

▼▼▼



9. Persona 5 OST



This soundtrack could alternately be titled: "Music To Fuck To"

---


8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2



Firing James Gunn was criminally stupid, and Disney should be ashamed of themselves for getting duped by a low-level bigot.

---



7. War for the Planet of the Apes



A consistently stellar movie trilogy. We don't get a lot of those. The apes here might be the perfect movie creature: close enough to humans that we can sympathize on an intellectual level, but close enough to animals to make us google the movie before seeing it to find out if "the dog dies" or not. That is no small feat, and Andy Serkis and everyone else involved in this series have a lot to be proud of to pull that off.

---


6. Logan



If any movie has earned the right to have Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" play over the credits, it's this one.

---

5. Patton Oswalt's "Annihilation"



I would not call this the "funniest" stand-up special Patton Oswalt has done. In these times, very little seems funny. But it is perhaps the bravest thing I've seen a comedian do.


To not just stand up and pick up as many of your broken pieces as you can, but to talk about it. Nobody can do this alone, but even so, may we all have a fraction of the strength it takes to be that vulnerable.


It's not over.

---


4. Little Witch Academia



This is comfort food for me, right up there with Azumanga Daioh. It's cute and clever and sincere, while also acknowledging what an ass-backwards scam academia is. Where the people who already know the answers are rewarded, and those who are actually learning are scolded for not having known everything already.

"How dare you not have all facts in the universe memorized! What do you think this is, a place where you can learn new things and grow?!"


3. Persona 5




I badly needed a game where young, unappreciated people could organize, schedule a meaningful life and education AND fight back against ingrained systems of corruption, run by the biggest shitheads on the planet.


Because that's the opposite of how the last couple of years have gone.

---


2. Blade Runner 2049




This follow-up to one of my favourite films was better than anything I could have hoped it would be. It is enraging to hear it dismissed as "sexist" by people who failed to understand it.


"This movie shows bad guys being mean to girls, so that must mean that the director agrees with that and hates women."


No, it means the movie takes place in a dystopia. Those are bad. Did you know that? How even in a futuristic society where world hunger is eliminated, it's still a shitty world if all of the old systems of persecution and subjugation are still in place. Do these Rhodes Scholars watch Star Wars and think the evil emperor is the protagonist?


It wasn't agreeing with persecution, it wasn't rubbing your nose in it and telling you to like it, it was showing you how ugly the world can get if we don't all fight to make it better. People are so irredeemably dumb, they didn't even notice a movie was AGREEING with them on how women are treated by society.


It was saying: "Look how GREAT the future could be!", and folks didn't catch the sarcasm.

---


1. THE LAST JEDI




I get more in-depth about this movie HERE, because this post is too long as it is. In the mean-time, I'll sum up why The Last Jedi was my favourite thing of 2017:


The Venn diagram of people who hated this movie and people who can't stop sucking Zack Snyder's butthole is one circle. 


END OF LINE

~A.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment