Tuesday 22 June 2021

Fave Things Of 2018

Oh shit, I'm a bit late to this one.

Top 10 list of my favourite things of 2018. Not the BEST things, not an objective list, I'm not deciding which one is better from a historical standpoint.
-----

10. Hereditary



Devastating. I don't think I can bear to watch it a second time. Toni Collette too truly summons the anguish and insanity of grief for me to to want to witness it twice. Very rarely is a horror movie TOO effective in its' goals.
-----



9. Deadpool 2



This spot could have been reserved for Zazie Beetz alone, but the rest of this movie is a lot of fun too. 

Also, googling Beetz' name, I was amazed I got it right on the first try there. I typed it out, but I was still certain I was fucking it up.
-----


8. Deltarune



Surprise episodic kinda-sequel to Undertale! Probably one of the more interesting twists on turn-based combat in RPGs. I eagerly wait to see where this project goes from here.
-----


7. Bowsette



Trashy Trans Bowser should be the new mascot of Nintendo games.
-----


6. Steamed Hams



I felt unexpected joy for the sudden resurgence and transmogrification of the "Steamed Hams" skit from an old Simpsons episode. (EDIT: It is 2021 as I edit this, and I still like when a new variant of this meme pops up.)
-----


5. Liz and the Blue Bird



This story about two girls who worry the other one will be so much better than them that they'll leave forever... well, it opened up some familiar wounds.

It's deeply upsetting what happened to Kyoto Animation. I don't know how much that influenced putting this movie here, but it should be acknowledged.
-----


4. Avengers: Infinity War



The culmination of 10 years of setup, unrivaled in cinematic history. They pulled it off. The maniacs.
-----


3. A Quiet Place



Very clever idea for a movie that's executed very well. One of my new favourite thrillers and monster movies.
-----


2. Annihilation



 There isn't anything I could say about this movie better than Matt Zoller-Seitz said:


"The last ten minutes may be be the only attempt at a "2001: A Space Odyssey"-type of mind-blowing, conversation piece ending, post-Kubrick, that actually sticks the landing."
-----

1. SPIDERMAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE




Art and poetry does not exist separately from popular culture, or capitalism. Yes, even superhero movies can do that. Even if some fossils won't or can't accept that.


END OF LINE

~A.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment